Friday, May 22, 2009

The First Order of Business

I began my campaign today. This morning I walked into the Wachovia at 1st and East Grace Streets to open a checking account for my campaign. Easier said than done. I was told I needed a tax ID number from the IRS before I could open a business checking account. I headed over to the IRS located at 400 N. Eighth Street in downtown Richmond. The receptionist handed me a booklet and two copies of the form. I walked over to the garden behind John Marshall's house and filled out my form on a beautiful spring morning. After completing the form I called an 800 number to speak with an IRS and she assigned me a tax ID number. By the way, political candidates are considered non-profit organizations by the IRS.

From John Marshall's garden, I rode my bicycle back to Wachovia where I was allowed to open a free business checking account and I deposited my first personal contribution of $100 towards my campaign.

First step, check.

No comments:

Post a Comment